Thursday, October 15, 2009

Now this I really struggle with.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/oct/15/texas-bible-jury-death-sentence

Well actually, that's not true. I cannot agree with any Biblical basis for the taking of another human life, whether that's through murder by an individual, or the killing of someone sanctioned by the state. Justice, yes, but surely also grace?

But equally, just because someone uses the Bible to influence their opinion, is that inherently wrong? Can anyone claim that strongly held beliefs of theirs would not affect their judgement in a case like this? Today I heard someone I'm worked with say that all paedophiles should be chemically castrated, or that government should re-introduce the death penalty. I don't think this guy's a big Bible-reader, but his views on it are certainly stronger than mine.

No comments: